Outpatient Services Include:
- Pulmonary Function Test
- Pulmonary Disease Management
- Cardiac Monitoring
- Tobacco Cessation
- Medication Review
- Assist in Intubation
- Manage ventilator
- Manage BiPap
- Manage high flow oxygen
- Draw arterial blood gasses
- Qualify for home oxygen
- Provide Medication and therapies to improve lung function
- VBCH has 6 VOCSN machines that assist patients with COVID-19. VOCSN is the first and only multi-function ventilator that combines multiple respiratory therapies—traditionally provided by separate pieces of equipment into one device.
- Having these machines in our facility can mean the difference between life and death for some patients with severe symptoms.
- VBCH also provides a pulse oximeter for high risk patients who need to closely monitor their oxygen levels at home.
Cardiopulmonary Services Manager
Respiratory Therapy Staff:
The department staff includes both registered and certified respiratory care practitioners. There are three pulmonary disease educators and two who are pulmonary rehab certified. The department has one part-time asthma educator.
What is a Respiratory Therapist?
A respiratory therapist is trained and skilled to assess, diagnose, and treat patients who have difficulty breathing.
They work with people of all ages, from infants to the elderly, in conjunction with physicians and nurses to come up with treatment plans aimed at best helping restore as much natural breathing function as possible.
From initial interviewing and examining, to teaching patients how to administer treatments on their own, respiratory therapists are acritical component in helping people living with cardio-pulmonary disease and disorders.