Advanced Directives

A Living Will and Durable Power of Attorney for health care, also known as Advance Directives, are written documents stating your wishes as patient regarding health care decisions in the event you are unable to speak for yourself.

Van Buren County Hospital and Clinics will provide you with information stating your rights to make health care decisions, including the right to accept or reject medical or surgical treatment. If you already have this document, it is YOUR responsibility to present a copy to the hospital.

It is the policy of Van Buren County Hospital to honor a patient's Advance Directive provided any actions taken pursuant to such a directive are:

  • Within the scope of authority granted by the Advance Directive
  • Consistent with reasonable medical standards
  • Consistent with current Iowa Law

In the event your attending physician, health care worker or administration of Van Buren County Hospital believes, in good faith, that your Advance Directive cannot be complied with, reasonable efforts will be made to assist you in transferring to a physician or health care facility where such Advance Directive may be followed. Van Buren County Hospital does not alter the provision of care or otherwise discriminate against the individual based on whether or not they have an Advance Directive. For more information, please request an advance directive packet from VBCH at 319-293-8708.


Pdf documents can be downloaded here:

Advance Directives

Living Will & Durable Power of Attorney

This content was printed from the Van Buren County Hospital website at on July 15, 2024.

Our Mission

Dedicated to enhancing health and well-being through compassionate and personalized healthcare and services.


304 Franklin St. | Keosauqua, IA 52565

To report a Compliance or Privacy concern or incident, please contact
You can also contact our Compliance Officer; Lynn Kracht at 319-293-8716 or

Need an Estimate? | Hospital Price Transparency

If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call 1-319-293-3171

Español   |   中文   |   Tiếng   |   Việt   |   한국어   |   Tagalog   |   русский   |   العربية   |   Français   |   Deutsch   |   日本語   |   فارسی   |   हिन्दी   |   ગુજરાતી   |   አማርኛ   |   ພາສາລາວ